Last month Apple announced its new iPad lines, the mini with retina display and the iPad Air, a lighter standard size iPad. For those of you who don’t know (most of you) I am a wanna-be geek. That means that I know nothing about actual geekyness but I love gadgets and I am an Apple fanatic. I have been told that I drank the Koolaid by those friends who swear by the PC world. I don’t mind. I will continue to drink the Koolaid as long as Apple continues to make the sexiest gadgets in the world.
I bought a first generation iPad, I still have it, it now sits on my kitchen counter on a stand. I use it as a cookbook, a television for when I am trying to be domestic but still want to indulge in my favorite shows, which right now seems to be Scandal…. Ohhhh wow have you seen it? No, please don’t waste another minute…. Well, finish reading this post and then go take a look. It’s a great show….. blabbing again…… anyway, I have the first generation iPad and then the mini came out. Although I kept saying I wouldn’t get it, I got it. I talked myself into getting the mini by getting a Wi-fi only (saying it wasn’t something I needed) and telling myself that I would sell the first generation iPad. As you can see from the statement above, I did not sell the first generation iPad and instead found another use for it. As far as the not needing the cellular capable iPad Mini, I’m retreating that all the way to work and back home. I don’t need it but I want it.
So last month Apple announced the release of their new lines of iPads. The Air and the Mini with retina display. I am trying to convince myself that I don’t need to get either. For Heaven’s sakes I’m buying a house, actually moving in next week. I can find better places to spend my money. But it’s not working again. It’s going to be another battle and I’m going to wind up buying one of them. Which one?
Now that’s a decision I’m trying to make. I’m watching all the videos I can find on YouTube and I’m trying to figure out what exactly it is that I want the iPad for. So….which one do I want? Yes, because right now it’s not a matter of which one do I need or would I want. It’s a matter of choosing which one I want because I think my decision to buy one or the other is made. I will own one or the other. It’s a mater of trying to figure out which one I want.
1. I like that it’s really small and I can fit it in all my purses. I wind up carrying it with me everywhere. I read my books, my magazines and newspapers.
2. I like that it’s comfortable to hold in my hand while commuting. I have small hands….. I’ve said it before. I’m 5′ tall so it’s a good things my hands match the size of my body. I would look ridiculous if I had really big hands. I still cannot comfortably hold the mini in one hand as the commercial seems to point out everyone should be able to do but …. details, details.
The iPad (standard size)
1. I like that typing is much easier on the bigger screen. Sometimes I tend to start my blog posts on the iPad while I’m commuting (I commute almost two hours).
2. I like that playing games on a bigger screen is easier than on the smaller screen. (I don’t play games that often so is this really important?)
Hmmm so I think I have made a decision. I think the Mini is winning. It took me a while to come up with two things about the standard size that I liked and honestly playing games is not my top priority as I much prefer reading (I know, BORING).
I may need a little more time and since the Mini is not coming out under later this month that is perfect. I will have to take a look at both of them side by side. I will let you all know what my decision was when I get it. I’m so excited!!!!!
- iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina Display: Should you upgrade? (gadgetnibble.com)
- iPad Air vs. Retina iPad Mini: Which tablet is right for you? (applebytecrunch.wordpress.com)
- Apple’s New iPad Air Receives Rave Reviews (dailyfinance.com)